Thursday, July 16, 2009

I Bleed Blue

Its 7:10 pm on a summer night. Most people are at home from long day at work. Some people are at the dinner table getting ready to eat a home cooked meal. As for me, I'm at Dodger stadium having dinner that consists of a Dodger Dog and garlic fries. If I am at home, then I'm probably on the couch getting ready to hear those famous words, "Its time for Dodger baseball". As you can tell, the Dodgers are my favorite sports team of all time. I came to America from the Philippines and the first thing I learned was who the Dodgers are. My childhood past is filled with memories of going to Chavez Ravine with my uncle and cousin to watch one of the greatest sports teams. The grass is so green, the air is filled with the aroma of grilled Dodger Dogs and beer and most importanat, I'm surrounded by the most loyal fans there are. No matter what your nationality is or no matter what your religious beliefs are, everybody is family there as long as you wear that unique Dodger blue color.
I remember going to a game when I was a kid. I actually got to shake hands with Pedro Guerruero, Steve Sax, Fernando Valenzuela and Mariano Duncan. Man what an honor to be greeted by some of baseball's greatest legends. To shake your heroe's hand is every boys dream. Since then I knew I would be true to Dodger blue.
Going to a game is a ritual to me. I always have to drive a certain path, arrive at a certain time and park at a particular spot (depends where my seats are). Then when I get there, I always make sure I bring my lucky glove, lucky hat and my Dodger jacket with my famous Dodger Dog mustard stain (yes, a stain I will never clean off because I got that stain the night the Dodgers hit a walk off home run in 2007). I arive at least an hour before the game. I mean, who doesn't want to watch batting practice. If our seats are nearby, I usually head to center field to catch the fly balls). Then we head to the food lines. 2 Dodger dogs, garlic fries and a beer, maybe a soda sometimes. Then off to our seats. Grub on the food before the National Anthem then its game time! Once the game starts its a whole new zone. All I can see is the field of dreams and the players. By the way, don't bother talking to me about random jibber jabber, there's no time for that, the Dodgers are playing for Christ sakes! Everybody and everything is zoned out. I only focus on one thing, the greatest sport of all time. You will catch me talking to myself. I might say things like, "what the fuck are you doing ump?" Or "hit that outta here Manny!" Or I could just be uttering some plays and pitches Joe should call. Come on, everybody is a baseball coach in some form. Maybe around the 3rd or 4th inning I'll wake up from the haze and catch a couple of bags of peanuts. I mean who doesn't eat peanuts at a baseball game? Then the 7th inning stretch comes, now its time to put my arms around my wife (who is the best Dodger fan that I know!) and all of those who are with me and just sing along and appreciate the sport's traditions and fan loyalty. "Take me out to the ball game, take me out with the crowd...". If you don't know those words, you need to be kicked. After the 7th inning stretch, its time to gain focus again. There's more yelling, more cheering and booing. If we're down on runs, then its time to flip you hats inside out and wear that rally cap! Wear it proud too because it works! We don't need no fucking monkey to help us rally, all we need is heart and determination! Now if we're up, its time to cheer on our closer. Let's pay the bill and check out of here! Oh and no matter how much we're winning or losing by, you will never, ever see me leave a game early. I never have and I never will!! So when the game ends and its time to leave the stadium, I always feel proud no matter if we win or lose. Get out from your seat and file out of the stadium. Don't forget to high five the other fans. We win and fall together. As I look back and I always look at the field one last time before exiting the stadium, I always get that feeling of "man, what a great game". All of these emotions and senses mean a great thing. The same emotions and feelings since my first Dodger game. It will never die from me.
I had the opportunity to take my niece to her first game last year. Before the game, I took her to the gift shop and decked her out with the latest Dodger gear. Shirt, hat, Dodger plush animal, the works! Since then I've taken her to every game since. I notice that look in her eye now too. That same look I got when I went to games as a kid. It feels great to pass on that tradition. It feels great to know that I helped create a new loyal fan. Most important, it feels great to see the Dodger family grow. We all now bleed Dodger blue!

1 comment:

Kim S. said...

Wow Rico...I didn't realize the Dodger games were such a surreal experience. I'm not a baseball fan, but you make me wanna go to a game.